ONTARIO COUNCIL OF AGENCIES SERVING IMMIGRANTS
Is pleased to announce our Facilitated E-learning Training on
Serving Youth in Newcomer
COURSE: November 19 to December 23, 2019
The purpose of this FREE introductory-level course is to help front-line practitioners working with immigrant
and refugee youth to better understand the issues they face in 5 areas:
Culture and Daily Life, Education, Law, Health, and Immigration.
The course is a 5-week online facilitated training that will also provide participants with a model
for developing their own program for newcomer youth, based on the
OCASI Model for Sports and Recreation Programming for Immigrant and Refugee Youth
Upon completion of the training, you will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of some of the challenges and barriers faced by immigrant and refugee youth in Ontario.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of some of the possible solutions to these challenges and barriers.
3. Recognize some of the existing programs and services that successfully address these challenges and barriers.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the four essential qualities to ensure successful youth programming.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of anti-oppression and anti-
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the OCASI Inclusive Model for Sports and Recreation Programming and how it can be applied to other types of youth programming.
Although prior e-learning experience is not required, it will be an asset. You will need access to a computer for this training as well as 2-3 hours per week to complete the tasks over the 5-week period.
You will be required to complete the following:
1. All 5 modules, each during the week that it is due
2. All activities, including quizzes and assignments
3. Participation in the online forum
4. Pre and post surveys
At the successful completion of the entire e-course, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials two days before the course begins.
There is no “live” component to the training and you are expected to review and complete each week’s course materials at your own pace. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
Module 1: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Module 2: Tuesday, November 25, 2019
Module 3: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Module 4: Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Module 5: Tuesday, December 17, 2019
To Register for the Training: Click Here
Please note: Course registration closes on November 15, 2019, and spaces are limited.
Course Facilitator: Emily Mooney is a trained facilitator, ESL teacher, researcher, writer, and registered social worker who has developed and facilitated several of OCASI's online courses, and written OCASI’s resource Foundations of Settlement Work in Ontario. She came to Canada from the United States in 1992, and has worked in support of immigrants and refugees since 2002. Board secretary of the Urban Alliance on Race Relations, Emily is a prolific longtime knitter and new quilter, and is proud to be raising a feminist, anti-racist 13-year-old daughter.
For more information on the course, contact Emily Mooney – email@example.com