OCASI Learn At Work
To return to course click the back button
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Getting started questions:
- Help! I have never taken online courses before!
- What are the computer requirements for this course?
- How do I update my profile to change my email address, password, organization, telephone, etc.?
- How do I sign out?
- How do I navigate or move around in the course?
- Where is the actual course content?
- What are these items on the sidebar panel?
- How do I show and collapse the items on the sidebar panel?
- The items normally on my sidebar panel have disappeared. How do I get them back to where they were?
- How can I keep track whether I have done and submitted all required coursework in each module?
- When I click on a course resource, it doesn't open up. Why?
- How can I access a printer-friendly version of the Introduction and Orientation section?
- How can I access a printer-friendly version of the course modules?
- I can't access the Interactive format in each module. How else can I access the content?
- How do I participate in the Forums?
- How do I submit my assignment?
- How do I know my assignment has been successfully uploaded?
- I lost my internet connection and/or my computer froze while I was typing in my forum posting (or answers to one of the short-answer questions in the Interactive Format). Is there a way I can retrieve my answers?
- I have completed and submitted my assignment and forum posting. Why does the system not automatically add a checkmark or tick to show that it is completed?
- The next item in the course is greyed-out, it doesn't open when I click on it. How do I access it?
- Why did the system log me out during a quiz and lose my results?
- What are the criteria used to grade forum postings?
- Why can't I access my certificate of completion?
Communicate with the facilitator, technical support and other participants:
Getting started questions:
1. Help! I have never taken online courses before!
No worries, you can get help on various topics through the following ways:
- Go to Section 1: Introduction and Orientation, click on Navigating the Learnatwork Website(video).
- Go to Section 1: Introduction and Orientation, click on My Profile and More...(video).
- Go to Section 1: Introduction and Orientation, click on Technical requirements.
- Go to Section 1: Introduction and Orientation, click on Important Course Information.
You can post a specific question in the Technical Support Forum, which can be found at the top right panel of the course front page. Your technical support staff will respond to you as soon as possible.
You can also contact us through http://support.learnatwork.ca for one-to-one technical support to walk you through the course and answer all your questions.
2. What are the computer requirements for this course?
Under the Introduction and Orientation section, click on ‘Technical requirements’.
3. How do I update my profile to change my email address, password, organization, etc.?
Go to Section1: Introduction and Orientation, click on My Profile and More...(video). Navigate the book using the table of contents on the left top sidebar panel.
1. How do I sign out?
To sign out, look on the top right of your screen, beside your name is a drop down, click the drop down. Click on Logout.
2. How do I navigate or move around in the course?
There are three ways to navigate the course:
- At the top left, under the course name, you will see what are called ˜breadcrumbs' which show you where you are in the course.
- For example for students in FSW-101-A, if you are in the Forum ˜Introduce Yourself', the breadcrumbs will look like this.
- Home> My courses >FSW-101-A > Forums > Introduce Yourself!
- Click on any of the green part of it to take you back to that part of the course, i.e. click on SV-101-A to return to the course main page.
- Use the Navigation block on the top sidebar panel. See the answer to Question 6.
- Use the Back and Forward buttons on the top left of your browser.
3. Where is the actual course content?
The middle panel of the course page contains all the course content, including forums, interactive formats of the modules, glossary, pre and post course surveys, post-module surveys, printer-friendly formats of the modules, etc.
The interactive format in each module contains the core course curriculum that resembles PowerPoint slides.
4. What are these items on the left panel?
The sidebar panel consists of blocks of information to help you in the course.
In the front page of this course, the blocks starting from the top are Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS), How To Move On In the Course, Forums, Navigation, Online Users, Contacts, Upcoming Events, Section Links, and Activities.
On this FAQS page of this course, the blocks starting from the top are Navigation and Administration > Course administration > Grades and My profile settings.
The Navigation block helps you navigate around the course. You will see triangle arrows facing to the right. Click on those in order to expand into more options.
Click on the triangle arrows facing down in order to collapse the options.
5. How do I show and collapse the items on the sidebar panel?
On the right panel, each block has 2 icons on the right of it: an icon of a square with a minus sign inside it, and an icon of a square with an arrow pointing right.
Clicking on the icon of the square with a minus sign inside it will collapse that block. When it is collapsed, the icon becomes a square with a plus sign inside it. Click on it to expand the block contents.
Clicking on the icon of the square with the arrow pointing right will move the block to the dock and hide the block. The dock is on the left edge of the screen. Only the title of the block will be displayed.The title text layout is vertical starting from bottom to top. By hovering the mouse over the docked block title, its content will display in a box. To undock the block, look for at the top right of the box for an icon pointing right and click on it. To close the box, click on the icon.
6. The items normally on the sidebar panel have disappeared. How do I get them back to where they were?
If the items normally on the sidebar panel are no longer there, it means they have been moved to the dock and hidden. The dock is on the far left edge of the screen, at the left of the course title. To undock and unhide the block, over the mouse over the docked block title so that its content will display. Then look for this icon on the left of the box and click on it.
7. How can I keep track whether I have done and submitted all required coursework in each module?
Course item titles that have not been completed have a little box that looks like this at the end of it.
Items that have a blue check in the box that look like this means they have been completed.
Dotted-lined boxes are mandatory items automatically checked off by the system once you have completed the item.
Solid-lined boxes can be independently checked off by yourself.
So to keep track, just look for unchecked boxes. You will receive notification once each item has been graded.
1. When I click on the course resource, it doesn't open up. Why?
Ensure that the popup settings in your browser have been enabled.
To enable popups in your browser, follow the instructions in the links provided for each browser by clicking on the links below:
If you do not have permissions to change your browser settings on your work computer, please contact your agency technical administrator for assistance.
2. How can I access a printer-friendly version of the Introduction and Orientation section or any other section?
At the end of each section, there is a printer-friendly version of the content in PDF format you can print.
Clicking on it will result in the module opening up in a new window. Ensure popup windows are enabled in your browser settings. Refer to Question 7 for links to instructions to enable popups.
3. How can I access a printer-friendly version of course modules?
Under each module section, there is a printer-friendly version of the content in PDF format you can print.
Clicking on it will result in the module opening up in a new window. Ensure popup windows are enabled in your browser settings. Refer to Question 1 in this Accessibility section for links to instructions to enable popups.
4. I can't access the Interactive format of each module. How else can I access the contents?
Under each module section, there is a printer-friendly version of the content in PDF format you can print. For example, it looks like this below.
Clicking on the actual link will result in the module opening up in a new window. Ensure popup windows are enabled in your browser settings. Refer to Question 1 in this Accessibility section for links to instructions to enable popups.
1. How do I participate in the Forums?
First click on the forum you would like to participate in.
- Click on a green button labelled Add a new discussion topic and a box called Your new discussion topic will open below.
- To post a message: In the Subject box, give your post a title.
- In the Message box, type in your contribution.
- When you are finished, click on Post to forum. You will have 30 minutes to edit or delete your post once you save it in the forum. If you need to revise or delete a post after 30 minutes, please contact one of the course facilitators. To respond to someone else's post, click on the Discussion topic .
2. How do I submit my assignment?
- Click the assignment title on the course front page. The assignment summary page appears where you can view the details your facilitator may have provided as well as the deadline for the assignment.
- Click on Add submission to begin the process for submitting your assignment. You can Upload an assignment file.
- To Upload file submissions, you can add a file using drag and drop OR the file picker.
- Add a file using Drag and Drop: Drag the file from your local computer and drop it in the marked area (dashed rectangle).
- Add a file using the File picker:
- Click on Add icon of a piece of paper with a plus sign (located at the top left of the File submissions box)
- A new window will open. Click on "Choose File" to select your file you have previously saved onto your computer.
- Save it as a name using this as an example: NinaSimoneModule1assignment)
- Click on the button to upload this file.
- The screen now shows the file you have uploaded. Click on Save changes.
- This brings you to a new screen where you click to verify that you are submitting your own work. Click on "Submit assignment" to finalize your submission. Once you click on "Submit assignment", you will not be able to submit or delete any other files. If you do not click on the "Submit assignment" button, your submission will remain in "Draft" status and will not be submitted for grading.
3. How do I know my file has been successfully uploaded?
Click the assignment title on the course front page. The submission status page appears showing details such as the grade status, submission file, assignment due date and time remaining, and date/time of when you last modified your submission.
4. I lost internet connection and/or my computer froze while I was typing in my forum posting (or answers to one of the self-reflection questions in the Interactive Format). Is there a way I can retrieve my answers?
For forum postings, if you did not have a chance to click on the "Post to forum" button before you lost your computer connection, then unfortunately your responses have not been stored. You will need to retype and resubmit your responses.
For the Interactive format short answer questions, whether or not your responses were saved in the system will be dependent on the time gap between the time of loss of connection and the time you stopped typing your response. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for support in resolving the issue.
It is advisable to first type your lengthier responses onto Microsoft Word first, then cut and paste it onto this learning platform.
5. I have completed and submitted my assignment and forum posting. Why does the system not add a checkmark or tick to show that it is completed?
If you did submit it and the facilitator has already graded it but it still does not show as completed, please contact technical support at email@example.com.
6. The next item in the course is greyed-out, it doesn't open when I click on it. How do I access it?
You may not have submitted a previously required activity or activities. For example, the Group Agreement cannot be accessed until you have first completed the Pre-Course Survey. Another example is the Module 1: Post Module Activities 1 and 2 cannot be accessed until you complete the Group Agreement. Please use the Weekly Checklists at the beginning of every week's activities to help you ensure that you have completed every task for the week. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for support in resolving the issue.
7. Why did the system log me out during a quiz and lose my results?
This learning management system has an idle timeout of 4 hours. If you are inactive for 4 hours, you will be automatically logged out and your unsaved results may be lost because of the inactivity.
8. What are the criteria used to grade forum postings?
They are graded from 0 to 5 where 5 is the highest possible grade. Your posting will be marked against the following indicators:
5 out of 5
You have posted a response in th week it was due. You have written good comments, and have also either asked a good question or commented on a colleague's post. Your post shows reflection and thought.
3 out of 5
You have posted a response during the week it was due but show only a minimal reflection. Your response does not really add anything to the discussion and learning. It shows minimal reflection.
1 out of 5
Your post is submitted past the week it is due, is social in nature, a "me too" response (without elaboration) or is not complete.
0 out of 5
Post not submitted.
9. Why can't I access my certificate of completion?
The certificate becomes accessible for clicking once you have:
- Completed all course activities
- Obtained a minimum 75% total course grade and
- Completed the post-course survey
If you have fulfilled all three requirements but clicking on â€œGet my certificate doesn't show anything, then you need to ensure your popup settings have been enabled. See the answer under Accessibility section of these Frequently Asked Questions, Question 1 for instructions on how to enable popups on your browser.
Communicate with the facilitator, technical support and other participants:
1. How do I reach the facilitator if I have questions on course content?
To the right of most of the courses you will see an area called CONTACTS this lists the facilitator’s name and email.
2. How do I obtain technical support for this course?
Your technical support staff can be reached on Mondays to Fridays, between 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. through: Technical help forum, located on the right sidebar of the course's front page, in the block called Forums. It is the 2nd forum listed. Submitting a ticket through http://support.learnatwork.ca/
3. How to send a message to another participant through Learn At Work?
Go to Section 1: Introduction and Orientation
Click on How to use Learn At Work.
Look for the Table of Contents on the top right panel. The fourth topic under there is Sending a Message to Another Person. Click on it to see detailed instructions.
4.How can I stop receiving all the forum postings through Learn At Work?
Please note that everyone is subscribed to the two forums “General Announcements” and “Technical Support” and cannot unsubscribe. In all other forums, you can choose to unsubscribe. Here are the steps to do so:
On the left sidebar panel, look for the Administration block.
Under that, look for and click on My profile settings.
1. Under that, look for and click on Edit profile.
2. Go to Forum auto-subscribe and choose No: don't automatically subscribe me to forums or Yes: when I post, subscribe me to that forum from the drop-down menu.
3. If you are going to subscribe to forums, go to Email digest type and choose how you would like the subscriptions to look.
4. Scroll down and click on Update profile.